Thursday 29 September 2016

Fall 2016 Premiere Week Review


I had this post written since the weekend, but I was waiting until Criminal Minds premiered. Fair warning, this post does include spoilers. I included four shows that I absolutely loved the premieres of as well as two that I was disappointed by. I can’t wait to see more premieres this season and see how these shows unfold in the weeks to come.

New Girl

I loved the season premiere of New Girl. I love Jessica Day, I think she’s down right hilarious as are her male counterparts. In the premiere, we saw Cece and Schmidt settle down from their wedding and honeymoon, looking to purchase their new house. As per usual, the gang is trying to get themselves involved. Honestly, I love that they’ve continued to carry on the tradition of the group doing things together even after the wedding. I am so glad that this show is back! I cannot wait until next week, when The Mindy Project returns so I have my weekly ritual of watching the two shows back to back with a bag of popcorn.

This is Us

I actually really liked the pilot episode of This is Us. I have the second episode patiently waiting to be watched on my PVR, but I haven’t had the chance yet. It kind of reminded me of the show Parenthood with Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard and Mae Whitman. It’s raw, emotional and things that we go through in everyday life. I am so excited to see how this show plays out through the season.

Grey’s Anatomy

As disappointed I am that Scandal isn’t returning until January, Shondaland nailed the season premiere of Grey’s Anatomy and How to Get Away with Murder (see review below). I am extremely disappointed in the way that Shonda changed Alex Karev’s character development, but I guess that we’ll see how this plays out through season 13. However, I am extremely intrigued to find out more about this evolving Meredith and Riggs relationship. I know that Maggie is Meredith’s sister, but I genuinely hope that Maggie can acknowledge the sparks between the two of them. I’m really missing the main cast that is gone, I noticed it a lot during this season; but I am extremely excited to see how this season turns out.
Also – I think this is a popular opinion throughout the Grey’s fan club: Jo needs to go ASAP.

How to Get Away with Murder

Ah, the novel that I could write about HTGAWM’s premiere. I love the way that Wes Gibbons continues to grow throughout the seasons, I think this season is going to be the season where we really see his growth. I was really interested by the flashbacks from the Keating 5, the story lines that are going to occur. I’m especially intrigued to see how Connor reacts after his and Oliver’s breakup. I loved them together, but I think that they were slowly starting to become toxic for one another. I can’t wait to see these storylines grow throughout season three! Also, who do you think died? I think I’m putting my bets on Bonnie!

Secrets and Lies

I didn’t even realize that this was the second season of Secrets and Lies! I thought that it was the pilot that I was watching. I was actually super interested by the storyline, I thought that the case would be solved in the first episode. However, I assume that the same storyline goes throughout the whole season. In my opinion, this can go two ways: it gets boring fast, or it is like a Making a Murderer storyline where every episode gets more in depth. Either way, I don’t think that I’ll be making it past the first episode.

Criminal Minds

I am a diehard Criminal Minds fan. I have seen every episode at least twice, some even up to five times. Unfortunately, I was not a fan of the premiere. I found myself super bored, fast-forwarding through most scenes (thank goodness for PVR). I was extremely disappointed with this premiere, but I will give it another shot (or three) to see if it improves.


What was your favourite premiere of this fall lineup? 

No comments :

Post a Comment