Friday 23 September 2016

Getting My Make-a-Wish Granted & the Wish Granting Process


A few months ago, I wrote an article about my life with Congenital Heart Disease. Throughout my experiences with CHD within itself, I have had been granted with several life experiences that stand out for me. The biggest moment for me was when I had my wish granted from the Make-a-Wish Foundation, one of my favourite charities to this day.
The Make-a-Wish Foundation’s mission statement is:
“The mission of Make-A-Wish® Canada is to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.”
And a little bit about the organization:
“Along with the national office, eight regional chapters grant magical wishes to children in need from coast-to-coast. Make-A-Wish Canada is an affiliate of Make-A-Wish® International, the largest wish-granting organization in the world, making dreams and wishes come true for more than 350,000 children since 1980.”
                                                       
I remember one day when I was in grade eight, I was home from school with a cold. My dad told me to apply for a wish on a whim, not actually expecting that they would ever consider me. About a week later, I got called down to the principal’s office because my parents had something very important to tell me. Of course, my anxiety rose higher and higher as most children’s do when called to the principal’s office. It was my dad on the other end of the line, telling me about how he had received a phone call asking about it. They explained that they would have to receive some documentation from my cardiologist and then I would have someone come talk to me about what I wanted for a wish.
I remember not having any clue, and consulting people because I didn’t know what I wanted. I remember at one point, I thought that it’d be cool to have a big party but it was for the wrong reasons (I wanted to be considered “cool”). Then, my “wish granters” suggested that I ask for a room makeover; which again, wasn’t a good idea because I was moving in a few years. Finally, a long consultation with my parents, we decided something Disney related as my parents could never afford to take me to Disney World since they were constantly missing work for my appointments. Therefore, their money went directly to paying bills instead of taking me cool places.

I chose a Disney cruise with my parents and cousin, Petra. Once we decided where I was going and since I was going on an international trip, Make-a-Wish Foundation required permission from my cardiologist to travel. I specifically remember the day that my mom received the fax approving the travel for my trip. It read Felicity has congenital heart disease. She has a life-threatening illness and may not live until she is eighteen years old. I also remember feeling absolutely destroyed reading that message, and crying. That was kind of the moment that I realized how sick I truly was from my CHD. However, the plus was that I was going to go away with my parents and cousin.
Leading up to the trip, I got a huge package from Make-a-Wish Foundation with t-shirts from the organization to wear on my flight, carry-on luggage, stuffed animals and a card explaining how excited they were for me to go. Additionally, I was in the local newspaper for getting my wish granted.
On October 17, 2008, I ventured out for my wish. I had to get up at 4:00 am to get to the airport on time. When we got to the airport, I met with a reporter from Make-a-Wish who took pictures of my family and I. As well, I had the absolute pleasure of meeting the executive team for the company who sponsored my trip. Once we got onto the plane, I had to hang onto Petra’s hand for the whole take off because I had never been on a plane before. The landing was a little bit better.
For seven days, I traveled throughout the Caribbean. I saw Key West, FL, Cozumel, Mexico, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands and Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay. It was the best trip ever! However, my mom and Petra decided to take their seasickness bands off halfway through the trip and got such bad motion sickness that they spent an evening crawling around our room from being sick. Clearly, my dad and I knew the smart thing was to leave those bands on… haha!
On the last day of the cruise, I got to go up onto the deck and meet the captain of the ship as well as Captain Mickey. That evening, we went to the closing show and Goofy picked me out of the crowd, made me stand up and hug him and gave me kisses. To this day, we’re unsure if it was just a freak accident or if it was the person in the Mickey Mouse costume. However, it was one of the most emotional parts of the entire trip.
I am so incredibly blessed to have love and support from so many different groups of people; family, friends, doctors and nurses. If it wasn’t for them, I would never have had the opportunity to travel with my family. Thank you to my mom and dad for always doing whatever I’m up for, even if it means we’re travelling on a boat through the world. Thank you to Petra for coming and being my trip buddy. Thank you again to my mom and Petra for tolerating the trip, even though you two died of sea sickness. I am so lucky to have so much love in my life. 

No comments :

Post a Comment