Saturday 24 September 2016

An Open Letter to the Guy I Used to Love

Dear ex-boyfriend,
I am still in shock that I’m sitting here, writing this. Three years since our breakup, and I have so much to say to you.

I met you on the first day of college. To be honest, I hated you when I first met you. I thought you were extremely arrogant and full of yourself. As I got to know you better, I realized that you weren’t as terrible that I thought you were. Originally, I decided to put you in the friendzone, but after a while, I realized you’d be good for me. Little did I know, that our saga would be the messiest relationship and breakup that I would encounter.

I haven’t seen you since the day that we broke up after a two-year emotional rollercoaster called our relationship. We had our highs and lows but ultimately, I ended our relationship because I felt like a twenty year old who needed to find herself. I needed to figure out what I wanted in life, who I wanted to love and most importantly, I needed to fall back in love with myself. You cheated on me the week before our one year anniversary and I found out two days later. You destroyed me, but I couldn’t end things. I wasn’t ready to end things. We thought “huh, maybe taking a break” would help. It didn’t though. I just couldn’t trust you, let alone love you after I found out that on multiple occasions, you made the choice that I wasn’t good enough for you.

I know that I can’t pin the blame on you forever, but I strongly believe that your cheating is what has made me such a commitment phobe. When I dated Jeff, I had trust issues about every little thing he did. That’s because you gave me reasons not to trust you. It’s not fair to anyone else that you’re the reason I can’t trust another man. Actually, you’re not a man, you’re a boy. A man wouldn’t have hurt me so many times and made me feel so useless.

I used to know you so well, I knew you like the back of my hand. Our breakup wasn’t easy, because there was so much investment. There was so much hurt. I thought you were my soulmate. However, you were just on a selfish, destructive path and I was the one standing in your way.

Now, I know you’re set to get married in the near future to a girl that you knew for only a few months before proposing. When I found out that you were getting married, it hurt me. Not that you were getting married and I still loved you. It hurt me because I was so invested in you and I never got any form of commitment from you. Instead, I got destroyed.

I’m not one to wish terrible things on someone. I wish you all the best in your marriage. However, I hope that you one day realize that your actions will catch up to you. I hope that your future daughter never has to feel the way that you made me feel. I hope that your wife never has to feel the pain that you caused me on your destructive path.

Good luck,
Felicity

Disclaimer: the photo that I included was from pexels.com. Quite often, that is where I get my photos from. They're a fully licensed website, similar to flickr but their photos are way nicer than flickr. 

No comments :

Post a Comment