Friday 9 September 2016

The Serious Flaws in Developmental Services in Ontario

Image found here
Make fun of me all you want, but do you know what I love? I love current events. I read the newspaper, watch the morning and evening news and occasionally check in on CBC news throughout the day. I hate not knowing what’s going on in the world around me. Even if admitting it does make me seem like a 35 year old stay-at-home soccer mom… or even worse, a retired teacher with nothing better to do with her day.

Sometimes, I glance through Elite Daily because there’s topics that interest me. Their slogan is the voice for Generation Y. Which is very true. I also like to read editorial and opinion pieces in New York Times. Lastly, one of my favourite topics that I thoroughly enjoy reading about are social injustices and things that governments can do to correct them.

Recently, I have fallen in love with a social justice reporter at the Toronto Star, Laurie Monsebraaten. Laurie talks about topics like poverty, Children’s Aid and welfare. To me, these are topics that matter. I don’t want to say more than politics, as they’re linked together. However, people who face these crises on a daily basis are real people.

This morning, I almost died with excitement when reading Laurie’s newest article, Easier path to cash for adults, kids with disabilities. Anyone who knows me knows that although my passion is with seniors, another population that I love working with is young adults with disabilities.

August’s Press Release (from the ombudsman)

Last month, the Ontario ombudsman made a statement talking about how deeply flawed our system is for people with developmental disabilities. The article that Laurie wrote is compelling following the ombudsman’s comments. It talks about the crisis that our province is in when it comes to handling funding and care adults with developmental disabilities. It almost briefly mentions how our province doesn’t need promises; it needs solutions. The statistics that she mentioned in this topic are:
·         There are 7 000 adults with a developmental disability receiving ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) benefits, which allow up to $1 110 a month in funding.
·         There are 42 000 adults in Ontario receiving individualized developmental services and supports.
·         There are 18 000 adults with a developmental disability in Ontario living in group homes, or another form of support living.
·         There are currently 9 700 adults with a disability waiting for residential support
·         By 2017/2018, about 1 400 more adults will receive residential support
·         There are 365 community-based developmental services agencies funded by the province
·         There are 1 525 complaints about developmental services received by the ombudsman between November 2012 and August 2016

The final statistic breaks my heart. I know three years and ten months does seem like a long time, however that’s approximately 1 395 days. Therefore, the ombudsman received approximately one complaint per day about inadequate care, or lack thereof this. This is not fair to a population that is so incredibly vulnerable, and it is heartbreaking that there are 1 525 complaints for people who feel that their needs are not met. Change is so desperately needed in this province, and it needs to start now.

Today’s article…

After finding out that information about two weeks ago, I was absolutely thrilled to read this morning’s article! As of September 1st, 2016 there were changes made to the Special Services at Home program, as well as ODSP. This will positively impact about 22 000 children, as well as 3 000 adults. This is fantastic news!
In the article, it says:
“Until now, young people with developmental disabilities, such as autism and Down syndrome, had to prove their disability twice – once when seeking government funding for developmental services and again when applying for income support from ODSP.
But under the new changes, adults who qualify for developmental-services funding – which provides support for residential care, caregiver respite and other programs – will no longer have to go through a second process to verify their disability for ODSP.”
This article also provides statistics, and I am a sucker for stats. These stats include:
·         There are 4 000 adults receiving provincially funded developmental services
·         There are 19 000 adults receiving developmental services with Passport funding of up to $35 000 annually that allows for respite care and community supports
·         The average annual funding for Passport is $10 000
·         There are 22 000 children receiving Special Services at Home (SSAH) funding, which is up to $10 000 per year
·         The annual average for SSAH funding is $3 800
These changes are great, although we are still so far away from reaching a goal where all individuals with disabilities in Ontario receive help if they so choose ask for it. I loved working in developmental services, I worked in a group home for two summers as a summer student. Although there are some stigmas and marginalization toward individuals with disabilities in our society, I genuinely think some of the kindest people I have met have had some form of a disability. I think we often forget that individuals are still a human being, not their disability. As soon as our provincial government comes to a stronger realization of this, the population of individuals with a disability in Ontario will receive a lot better care.

What are your opinions on this topic? Let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment