Saturday 1 October 2016

Why I'm Okay With Being #foreveralone


I have decided to do a 30 day blogging challenge, to bring some creativity and spark into my life. As I mentioned on Thursday, I quit my full time job last week to pursue a career in my field of study. My life is changing and evolving a lot faster than I thought it would ever. I decided that it would be fun to do this challenge for the month of October to help me keep the creative juices following as I continue to adapt to the changes in my life.

The term #foreveralone

I went on Urban Dictionary and there are several definitions of the term “forever alone”. I thought that I would share my top three.
1.       “An individual who will never have a boyfriend/girlfriend and will never get married, most likely spend of their time on the internet or making faces and/or noises to themselves. This person will probably have one real friend and die with 32 cats.”
2.       “Being so incompatible with the rest of humanity that you will never find anyone willing to date you.”
3.       “Being single”
Honestly I’m not 100% where I fit in with those definitions, but I know I’m somewhere. I think that #2 is probably the most like me. In the post I wrote last week to my ex-boyfriend, I mentioned how emotionally damaged I am from my relationship with him. At the age of 23, I feel as though I am growing through the phase where all of my friends are either getting into a serious relationship or are too wine drunk to even remember their names.

Why I’m Okay With Being Single

I actually had this discussion with one of my friends a few weeks ago. I feel like I’ve been in a relationship, or had a fling with someone since 16. I haven’t really had any flings since my ex and I broke up in February. I’ve gone on a few dates but nothing has ever really turned into something more.
Right now, I’m 23 and focusing my ambitions on being a #girlboss. The term girl boss came from the bestselling book, Girl Boss. A #girlboss is also known as an ambitionista, who is someone driven to succeed in her career. At 23, I scored my dream job even if it is only part-time. Next goal is full time, but that’s a work in progress… right?
With that being said, I am so career driven that I think that a gentleman in my life may hold me back. Right now, I’d be content with packing up and moving across the country for a job I wanted badly enough. I know that depending on the situation that I was in, I couldn’t. I had that dilemma when I wanted to apply for university in Newfoundland but I was in a serious relationship. I don’t want to have to make that choice again.

Five Reasons I’m Comfortable with Being Single

I read this Thought Catalog article when writing my post, and I instantly fell in love with it. I thought I would share my five favourites from the post.
1.       “When someone asks about your relationship status, you answer honestly without batting an eye, because you don’t see anything embarrassing about being alone in a couple-filled world.”
2.       “Your calendar is always full: vacations, breakfast/lunch/dinner with old friends, movie date with your siblings or friends, seminars and other important activities outside work/school.”
3.       “You forgot how it is to be dating or be in a relationship. How many times do you need to send them messages? Which decisions do you need to consult with them? Do they need to know where you’re going for lunch and what you’re having?”
4.       “Your heart goes out to those who are afraid to be alone and wish they’ll someday see the light and embrace singleness.”
5.       “You’re not bitter about your failed relationships anymore. You are actually grateful that they ended. If it didn’t, you wouldn’t be this happy right now.”

 

My single lady playlist

Honestly, throw in Sorry by Beyonce and this playlist would be my life motto right now. Nothing feels better to me that sitting with a glass of wine and playing with my cat or having a dance party to this playlist.
I’m okay with being alone. I needed to be alone, I needed this experience. I am so blessed for the relationships that I have had, they’ve thought me so much. I cannot wait to continue to grow as a human being and maybe I will find someone but I’m not sitting around worrying about it.


What’s your relationship status? Are you okay with it?

No comments :

Post a Comment