Sunday 2 October 2016

Where I'd Like to be in Ten Years


(This is the second day of the 30 Day Challenge that I’m completing, which was found on katywidrick.com. Direct link to the challenge is here)
In ten years, I’ll be 33. At 23, I’m going to tell you this: I can pray every day of my life that I want this and my life will be nothing like I want it to be in ten years. If you asked 13-year-old me this question, I probably would have said a paediatric nurse. Obviously, I work with the polar opposite: seniors with dementia. Here are the top five things I would like to have accomplished in ten years.

In ten years, I would like to be a recreation director at a Long-Term Care home.

This has been one of my biggest goals since I was sixteen. I love working in dementia care, I absolutely despise working in retirement care. Therefore, LTC is where my heart is. Currently, I work as an activity aide in an LTC; where I work in a locked dementia unit providing programming for the residents. Once I have gained the frontline experience that I am content with, I would like to move into an office role.

In ten years, I would like to have a university degree.

I have been putting off getting a university degree for a few years now, but I know that I won’t be happy until I go to university. One of the big things that is stopping me is that I’m unsure what I want to pursue in university. My top choices are:
·         Bachelor of Business Administration
·         Bachelor of Social Work
·         Bachelor of Arts in Gerontology
I know that any of these three degrees would help me pursue a great job working in geriatrics. If anyone has any suggestions/tips for picking a major, let me know! I’m really struggling at deciding.

In ten years, I would like to have purchased my own home.

I think that this is many people in my generation’s goal. However, I am the worst for saving money, so this goal is probably going to be hard. I’ll make it work though. I don’t want to live with my parents forever!

In ten years, I would like to have paid off my student loans.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am addicted to post-secondary education (see above where I talk about obtaining a degree). I would love to have all of my loans paid off though, as I’ll be over that phase in my life. I’ll probably want to be slowing down from working so much and remain financially stable. I think that this will be my biggest challenge.

In ten years, I would like to have found a hobby that I love and pursued it.

I am not a hobby type of person. I sit on my computer, I read articles, go on Pinterest and Tumblr, and write blog posts. I’ve tried knitting, swimming, hiking and crocheting. Nothing suits me, and I get bored easily. I would love to be able to find something that I love, and pursue that. If I don’t have a hobby, at least I’ll have a few cats (or twenty), to keep me company while I “Netflix and chill” alone.


Honestly, I don’t know where my life will be in ten years. I hope that it’s fantastic, and that I’m happy with whatever life I’m given. If I can continue to follow my passions, I know that I will be just fine. 

2 comments :

  1. This is really great, it is so important to set goals for yourself, and you seem like a very talented lady.. I have no doubt you will achieve these and more! I am so happy I came across you blog it is lovely, don't stop doing what you do! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! I suggest you save this somewhere though just so you can look back on it from time to time, it'll surely be a good motivation too! Purchasing your own home can be so freeing, and the university thing is definitely doable as long as you put your heart into it! <3 Hope you reach these goals.
    You have such a gorgeous blog, your posts are so good! I'd love if we can follow each other maybe? Let me know <3 Have a good week!

    Joanne | Life in Blue Skies

    ReplyDelete